Saturday, June 21, 2008

Book Review of the Day - Tanya Huff

Just recently finished Tanya's latest (and possibly last) book in the Valor series. Loved it. I have always been more fond of her Valor novels than the Blood series, but that figures. Valor features a kick-butt female character and that's what I love to both read and write. Huff's latest installment in the Valor series had me on the edge of my seat from beginning almost to the end. I got a little concerned there that the ending was going to wind up being too coincidental, but I should have had more faith. She ties everything up nicely and explains the coincidences so they are not.

Which brings me to an analysis of what I like to read. I've been doing a lot of reading lately since it is summer and I'm not working. (More reviews to follow.) And I've realized that my choices have become somewhat self-limited in the past few years. I read science fiction. I read predominantly science fiction featuring extremely strong female main characters. I read science fiction almost exclusively written by women. Favorite authors: Linnea Sinclair, Elizabeth Moon, Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Bear, Tanya Huff, Laura Anne Gilman, S.L. Viehl, R.M. Meluch, Vicki Petterson, Tara K. Harper, Debra Doyle. See a trend here?

I do not necessarily see this as a bad thing. It makes sense that I like to read the type of material that I like to write. And I feel that reading these authors can be beneficial to my own writing. It's not that I have anything against male authors, but I haven't found one yet that has really knocked my socks off. I like Orson Scott Card and C.J. Ryan, but if one of my other favorites has a new book out, I'm more likely to read that first.

Just picked up Grimspace by Ann Aguirre (recommended on the cover by Linnea Sinclair). I'll be starting that today or tomorrow, just as soon as I finish the third book in Vicki Petterson's Zodiac series.

No comments: