Friday, June 27, 2008

Movie Review - Get Smart

Ok, I really loved the t.v. show Get Smart as a child. I'd throw myself down in front of the t.v. excitedly every time I heard that familiar (and all too catchy) theme music. But having been disappointed by movie/t.v. tie ins in the past, I wasn't expecting too much from Get Smart.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. It started slowly, but by the time we were about thirty minutes into it, my husband and I were finding things to chuckle about, and by the end, we were laughing out loud. I actually felt the movie characterization of Maxwell Smart was more likable and entertaining than the original, although I really enjoyed Don Adams as well.

In this version, Max Smart is highly skilled, handsome, and a good guy. He makes mistakes because he's new to his job, but his successes are not mostly based on good luck. Agent 99 is also a wonderful kick-butt female character, and we all know I love those.

It was also really nice to see/hear the echoes of the original television series. "Would you believe . . . ?" "I missed it by this much." "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Plus, the shoe phone, original car, Hymie, the succession of closing steel doors, the dropping phone booth, and the cone of silence all put in an appearance.

There were a few scenes that I felt went over the top, like the airplane bathroom scene (funny, but a bit much) and the Chief of Control punching the vice-president, but the swordfish moment nearly had tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so hard.

I thoroughly recommend this PG-13 film. It was a great summer escape movie.

No comments: