Monday, January 26, 2009

Book Review of the Day - Talia Gryphon

Ok, with a name like Gryphon, the woman really has to write paranormal. Key to Conspiracy is the second novel in the Gillian Key series. And let me say up front that paranormal anything really isn't my favorite genre. That said, there are some things I really enjoy about this series.

I like the main character for the most part. She is generally tough, yet attractive, and the combination Marine/psychologist is an interesting mix. The fact that she's blonde gets on my nerves, but that's my personal bias. :) It's the main character that has kept me reading the series, despite this not being my "thing."

On the downside, for me, anyway, there are vampires, elves, and werewolves. I'm very tired of vampires, elves, and werewolves. Granted, the vampires are HOT and the description of their romantic tendencies is also HOT, so I'm letting that slide a bit. But I enjoy the ghosts and other less-common creatures in her series a lot more. I'd like to see more of those.

I'm also noticing in the second book, which I didn't notice in the first, a tendency to shift point of view at random, sometimes in the space of one page without any indication that the shift is coming. I can't get away with that in my writing. My mentor would eat me alive.

I guess what disturbs me most is the reason I'm reading it at all. And that is, there is nothing else on the bookstore shelves that I want to read. I've been to the store and scanned the woefully minimal science fiction section, and can't find any dominant female protagonist stories in that genre that I haven't read already. It's disheartening, to say the least. I'm now in the midst of the third book in this series. It's probably good for me to step outside my "comfort reading zone" but I'd like some sci-fi kick ass women, now, please.

No comments: