Saturday, January 31, 2009

Couldn't Do It and Contest Entry

So much for starting something new. I tried. Really. I wrote a whole chapter of that science fiction/romance idea I had. And I got bored. Utterly, entirely bored. And I went back to writing Agency Files, Book 2, which is coming along nicely. Chapter one has been written and revised several times. I like it, though it still needs a bit more telling rather than showing in the opening fight scene. And I'm happy writing it.

Except for the frustration.

Because if I can't sell Book 1, what the hell am I going to do with Book 2? I'll spend another six months to a year writing the next book, and I can't even pitch it to anyone when I'm finished because it's a sequel. And then what? It's a trilogy, for crying out loud! So I'll write a third book that will take another year?

The hubby seems to believe that once I get this trilogy out of my system, I'll be able to write unrelated material. I tend to agree with him, but, two more years?! Sigh.

On the up side, if I do sell Book 1, I'll be well along with the other books in the series, if not finished with them. I'm told that's very attractive to agents and publishers.

On a different note, I entered Assassin's Nightmare in a new contest. The top three manuscripts, one in each of three genres including science fiction, will go to the head of the slush pile for three prominent editors at major publishing houses. Mine will go to an editor at Tor if I win. That would boost my writing spirits somewhat.

I'm also considering posting my work over at Authonomy, a site run by Harper Collins. It's kind of like American Idol for writers. Readers vote on books they like and give feedback. The most popular titles end up on the editors' desks over at Harper Collins. I doubt I would win, as I suspect it's more of a popularity contest than anything else, but I'm curious as to how the book would do and what feedback I would receive.

No comments: