Thursday, July 24, 2008

Book Review of the Day - Elizabeth Bear

As promised, here is my opinion of Bear's Dust. First off, I liked it much more than I expected to. I am a big fan of her Jenny Casey trilogy, and after that series, I felt her style had gone in a direction that, while brilliant, simply wasn't for me. I read Undertow and Carnival, but didn't much care for either one. I was actually going to give up on her for awhile, but then noticed she was attending ReaderCon and talking about Dust. I didn't want to look like a complete idiot when I met her, so I read the book. And I liked it. The main characters are action-oriented women, which I always enjoy. I wasn't too thrilled with the ending, but I am hoping the second book in this series will resolve some of my issues. So, she's got me back as a reader. I'm looking forward to the next book.

No comments: