Thursday, June 18, 2009

Celebration Writers Group

I made my first appearance at a meeting of the Celebration Writers Group tonight. Admittedly, I've been wary of attending because of proximity to where I live and work. If I have some adult content in my writing, and parents of my students are in the group, I may be thought of differently as a teacher. If I critique a parent of one of my students, I might unintentionally offend someone. So it wasn't an easy decision to attend.

However, I'm glad I went. The group was, as a whole, very nice, welcoming, and talented. The two parents of my students who are in the group seemed to understand that this was "off the record" so to speak. At least, I hope so. Still a tad nervous about that.

I was impressed with the levels of writing and the levels of critiquing. Both very high. Most of the individuals present have goals of being professionally published. A few already have some legitimate writing credits/sales. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and I hope to make it to the next meeting and perhaps contribute something as well.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

is this the one you talk about with us?